AN ANNOYING VISITOR

15:33:00


A long time ago, when I was a little girl I used to spend the summertime in the country with my grandparents. One day, as I remember, a strange sound spoiled my afternoon nap. It was the caw of a bird, something like sobbing! It sounded pretty close, so full of curiosity, Ι went to find its hideout. My grandfather came as usually at the right moment, when I was ready to throw a small stone to the tree of the courtyard. Μy “killer instinct” was calmed down when I heard for my first time the “decaoctura” ’ s story.

Its official name is "Streptopelia decaocto" and it comes from ancient greek (streptos= collar and peleia= dove). The Greeks call it “decaoctura” because it “says” continuously “decaocto”= eighteen. Its myth starts like this; Once upon a time there was a beautiful and adorable girl who was an excellent housewife as well. Many young men desired her and but only one managed to steal her heart. Unfortunately his mother didn’t like her, so she did everything to separate them. The mother blinded by jealousy, was forcing the girl to do all difficult chores until to resent everything and leave, but she endured all the humiliations patiently because she loved her husband. One day the mother asked her to bake 18 breads. The girl indeed baked them before afternoon. Then, the mother hid one bread and claimed that her daughter-in-law ate it because she was greedy and wasteful. The young man believed her and the girl shouted because of the injustice: “decaocto”, “decaocto”, “decaocto”(= 18 breads!). The girl went mad and God took pity on her transforming her into a bird. Since then, she cries and tries to restore her honour.

Μany years have passed, but this caw everytime turns me back to my childhood; to our house with the large yard, to my carefree summers, to my patient grandfather with his calm voice… Many of the above don’t exist anymore but memories remain forever.  


You Might Also Like

0 σχόλια

Popular Posts